Daughter of Destiny (Guinevere’s Tale Book 1)
Print and ebook available through:
Audio book available through:
- Book of the Year – Chanticleer Reviews
- Best New Voice, (Silver Award), IBPA Benjamin Franklin Awards
- Gold Medal – Next Generation Indie Book Awards (fantasy)
- Gold Medal – Readers Favorite Awards (fantasy)
- First Place, Midwest Book Awards (fantasy)
- First Place, Legacy/legend category – 2015 Chatelaine Awards for Women’s Fiction/Romantic Fiction
- First Place, Fairytale/Folklore category, Colorado Independent Publisher’s Association (CIPA) EVVY Awards
- Short-listed: 2015 Chaucer Award for Historical Fiction.
- Short-list – Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards
“A new twist on an old tale that gives agency, sympathy, and personality to a woman typically cast as a one-dimensional adulteress. Classic characters find their way into Guinevere’s orbit in unexpected ways, keeping the novel both familiar and fresh.” – Library Journal
“Evelina’s re-imaginings of this familiar material is unfailingly energetic and innovative, and her version of Guinevere herself is captivating virtually from the first page – no small feat in an overall plot with such well-defined parameters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to its sequel.” – Historical Novel Society
Before queenship and Camelot, Guinevere was a priestess of Avalon. She loved another before Arthur, a warrior who would one day betray her.
In the war-torn world of late fifth century Britain, young Guinevere faces a choice: stay with her family to defend her home at Northgallis from the Irish, or go to Avalon to seek help for the horrific visions that haunt her. The Sight calls her to Avalon, where she meets Morgan, a woman of questionable parentage who is destined to become her rival. As Guinevere matures to womanhood, she gains the powers of a priestess, and falls in love with a man who will be both her deepest love and her greatest mistake.
Just when Guinevere is able to envision a future in Avalon, tragedy forces her back home, into a world she barely recognizes, one in which her pagan faith, outspokenness, and proficiency in the magical and military arts are liabilities. When a chance reunion with her lover leads to disaster, she is cast out of Northgallis and into an uncertain future. As a new High King comes to power, Guinevere must navigate a world of political intrigue where unmarried women are valuable commodities and seemingly innocent actions can have life-altering consequences.
You may think you know the story of Guinevere, but you’ve never heard it like this: in her own words. Listen and you will hear the true story of Camelot and its queen.
Fans of Arthurian legend and the Mists of Avalon will love Daughter of Destiny, the first book in a historical fantasy trilogy that gives Guinevere back her voice and traces her life from an uncertain eleven year old girl to a wise queen in her fifth decade of life.
Camelot’s Queen (Guinevere’s Tale Book 2)
- Fiction Book of the Year – Author’s Circle
- Best Second Book – Next Generation Indie Book Awards
- Gold Medal, Next Generation Indie Book Awards (fantasy)
- First Place, Ozma Awards for Fantasy Fiction (mythological fantasy)
- Awarded the Indie B.R.A.G. Medallion
Audio book available through:
“What a refreshing twist to a historical fiction nearly as old as time! Author Nicole Evelina not only spins a refreshing new thread told from Guinevere’s POV, she weaves an entire tapestry rich in color, depth, and scope…With larger than life characters, a gamut of emotions, mystical forces and hate-worthy villains this is historical fantasy at its finest! –InD’tale Magazine
“Evelina writes [the court intrigues] with terrific energy and page after page of vivid dialogue. She very adroitly exploits the known quantities of the core Arthurian story; readers know to expect the division of Guinevere’s affections, and the sensitive emotional variations Evelina works into the story are expertly done. This is a fine, gripping series.” – Historical Novel Society